I was torn as to whether I should really blog the following.
It was something personal for myself and my daughter today, and her sadness was just so overwhelming.
To begin with I did not photograph her to capture this misery, but I did so to show her afterwards what another person made her feel - if that makes sense.
For a long time my daughter, who is 7, has wanted to change her first name. It started about 2 years ago, and I do not know what the trigger was, but suddenly she preferred 'Chloe' to her actual name. Her own name is original, and beautiful, and totally her. I also chose it after much debate with my husband (so much so that it was only 2 weeks after her birth, when we were standing at the registrar office on the last legal day we had to name her, that I won!) - so she is keeping it!
Anyway cut to today's drama - someone had rhymed her last name this time (usually it is her first) with a different name, and was now calling her Chameleon. She seemed distraught that this was some kind of horrible thing. I explained to her what a Chameleon was and she seemed better.
However the tears had started - so now it was no one was her friend; she told me a story of what happened at Gym where she was left out; something about how I love her brother more; how she fell into a table today and now her back was sore - I swear through the tears I caught 11 different stories of sadness that happened to her today.
So I told her that I was going to take her photo and she was going to see the sadness someone had made her feel, and that she should look at this and think I am not going to let someone make me cry again.
I sure hope it helps - 7 is only the beginning, I have the teens to look forward to people!
After the tears, we took a photo of her looking strong - I like this one much better of my little Chameleon.
All of my images are © Leah Donaldson Photography and are not to be downloaded, copied, printed or used without my written permission.





:*) Oh man yea, I remember similar days with my son. Childhood is hard sometimes! I'm glad she was able to express herself so openly though, and the last photo spells relief all over her expression.
ReplyDeletexoxo
ReplyDelete