Friday, 2 November 2012

Transition

Its amazing to me, when the transition happens from baby to toddler. Its exciting with the new phase, but its also a kind of sadness and grief.

I remember the days of being able to have a shower, and be able to see the baby lying gurgling beside me, not rolling or moving! 

These days I tend to be half in and half out of the shower, trying to save him from crawling into the toilet to jump in the water...don't ask! Trying to save the toilet brush from being introduced to his sister's tooth brush...its hard work.

The most upsetting transition lately has come from sleeping as a newborn, on his own, in his cot, being able to place him awake, say goodnight, and he would drift peacefully off to sleep , ah bliss.

To now, where the cot seems to be a fiery pit of hell and he can no longer stand to be in it. So much so, that control crying (that is useless at the moment) fell flat due to baby, sorry toddler, climbing out of said cot - even though it is at the last level for his age - and apparently a kid his age would not be able to get out!!! Well he did.

So the transition now is no cot, our bed, mum and dad grumpy and tired.

Yesterday I also watched the transition from screamer to placid child within a 10 minute crisp eating session.


See below for a pictorial debut of how a packet of 'Quavers' gave one mother enough peace and quiet for a few minutes, where she should have sat and had a drink but chose to photograph it...:)










All of my images are © Leah Donaldson Photography and are not to be downloaded, copied, printed or used without my written permission.

4 comments:

  1. Ah look at that (adorable) face! :) Love this post btw.

    I listen to a lot of radio (bcs I live in the country and have a long commute to uni which is downtown) and this week there was this show on how kids/babies that age are in that tender phase when they discover anger/frustration. According to this (Canadian) psychologist, it's important to let the kid fully experience his frustration while keeping him safe and structured. Anyway, it was more detailed than this, but I thought it was very interesting to know that it's not "terrible twos" but actually a really important developmental stage that helps the human learn how to live through emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that's so great to know! I thought it might be terrible two's but it's just been such a dramatic change. This actually gives me hope! Thank you Stephanie! Expression is so important. I'll have to just ride this and let him choose where to sleep. He is too small for his own bed and I'm worried he will jump from the cot and break something! I guess I've had an amazing 20 months and can let him destroy me with sleep deprivation haha..for a little while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that is the cutest picture series I've ever seen. I'm not planning to have children of my own for a LONG time, but I still love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) haha thank u so much! Planning a wedding is much more stressful trust me, I remember it well, babies are far more easier :)

    ReplyDelete