Monday, 4 March 2013

Gooowah

Ok, so I actually received an email from a reader asking for me to get on with the Australia photos, and show them already. Ok Mum, here we go.

Xmas is gone, so I am going to publish a couple of blog posts with the rest of the trip. Gosh we came back 11th Jan this year, so I need to get through them, and I need to do this before I give you the new home address of my gorgeous 'lil blog. AND also before I go and come back from the next OZ trip later this month!

One of the best parts of going home is seeing my family - that is a given. The most amazing thing is when we get to share some time together - the time of going to sleep and waking up the next day and they are all still there! Usually we all try to get a few days away, and its always near the beach.

I grew up on the beach. If I wasn't there every weekend with my mother as a child, then it was with my aunties and uncles.

This trip we went to Goowla, or as my kids prounounced it Gooowah.

The facts - it is a historic port on the River Murray. It is near the Murray Mouth, which is the point that the River Murray meets the Southern Ocean.

We drove to the 'tourist lookout' - um, yeah, lots and lots of people fighting to the barrier to see the Mouth - note to self - never bother doing that again. Its water meeting water. I think I had convinced myself seeing the Southern Ocean meant I was going to see Nemo or something.

Goowla in the aboriginal language means 'elbow'. There was lots of that in this car journey. Kids elbowing each other, me elbowing the driver to take us back to the house.....

Goowla is beach city, and I love that. The other close towns of Port Elliott, and Victor Harbour, make it a wonderful place to be. Sun, Sand, Surf and Shoppping - everything you need! I mean it is acceptable to walk around in bathers, and you are nobody unless you have seaweed in your hair, sand on your skin, and tanned to the max! This is my kind of place!

We stayed in an amazing house, spent time playing bocce; as we do, then drinking, swimming, drinking, winery visiting, drinking, swimming..that was New Years Eve, but pretty much every day was like that. 

Throw in a visit to a horse racing meet, checking out surfers on the beach, a scary neighbour who mysteriously appeared cleaning his windows whenever we were outside, body boarding in the ocean, finding Doctor Who on a dirt road, visiting a winery and eating a 'shiraz' pie....gorgeous! A typical holiday really....

I will let the photos tell the story.






























































 




All of my images are © Leah Donaldson Photography and are not to be downloaded, copied, printed or used without my written permission.

2 comments:

  1. I want to live in Australia by the beach! And eat that pot pie and fries!

    Wow those photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! I am so happy when I get your comments! I dont know if anyone reads this and you give me hope :)

    The pie was delicious - you would need a veg version of it though! Vegetables with 'shiraz' - I think that would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete