Monday, 18 February 2013

Storytelling

Yesterday I did something different, photography wise. We went out for a walk to the park with my husband's sister and her little boy and with my 2 kids too. I still took my camera, but this time - decided I wasn't going to do the usual portrait shots - and instead focus more on telling a story.

This is something that is going to be very mainstream for me soon, as in my business I am going to offer lifestyle "storytelling" sessions - where I will want to capture all the different aspects of the moment - not just the eyes.

I do this everyday in my own personal shooting of my daily life and really LOVE it. Combine that with B&W and I am in heaven. Lately I have been changing my aim, so to speak, and bypassing my favourite thing 'eyes' and actually using my own eyes to look for composition, shadows, light, darkness, lines and patterns.

I am totally self taught in photography, and to be honest the whole composition, rule of thirds etc etc - I just start to shut off from rules, what you should do etc etc - I rely on what I see, if I like it, I take it, if I don't like it - I change my view, so I do like it - that is the only rule I follow.

Storytelling sessions, I think, for me, show real life - and although I love a close up of my children - I love more the little books I make of them doing what they do, lots and lots of pages of images of them laughing, fighting, building, playing, fighting again, reading, painting, creating, hugging - I want to see all of it, and hopefully soon my clients will want that of their own families too!

































All of my images are © Leah Donaldson Photography and are not to be downloaded, copied, printed or used without my written permission.











No comments:

Post a Comment