Monday, 4 February 2013

Gambier

Back to the OZ trip - and at this stage of photo editing, I am looking at our family road trip.

Yay...or nay....depends on what is appealing. Sitting next to your darling husband for 4 hours, holding hands, listening to music - swapping between 80's remix or 50's goldies....smiling at each other - pointing out landmarks, laughing at the moron who is overtaking us on the worst corner in history with oncoming traffic - laughing even harder at being stuck behind an over sized vehicle on the road (a transportable house to be exact) and being behind it for 1 hour at 20 miles per hour...haha good times

Ok all that happened, but lets throw in the reality...2 small children in the back.

Where do I start? First 15 minutes into the trip - the first of 34,677 times of....'Are we there yet?'

The fighting....fighting over small handset tv's - fighting over freddo frogs...fighting over who can see what out the window...fighting over the 80's music on the radio...fighting over leg room....fighting over a torch. Did I mention I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old - who both act like 14 year olds!


But then we made our first stop....hallelujah - kissing the ground, jumping up and down and spinning like a 5 year old in a sprinkler....and that was my husband. We were so happy to be out of the car. We stopped in a 'border' town between South Australia and Victoria, and the town Keith is now like my most favourite place in the world. They have a bakery there. No not some kind of UK version of Greggs...I am talking the bakery of all bakeries....this place was heaven. 

As soon as we walked in, Elvis memorabilia was everywhere. 

Um hello...Keith Bakery you had me at the front door.

I mean this place was Ah..mazing. I spent 4 hours walking around in wonder...I hadn't even had anything to eat yet. Ok...more like 14 minutes checking the place out, and then it was all in....chocolate donuts that I remember as a kid - you need 2 hands to hold them. Cornish Pasty with sauce, in the brown bag, and the sauce seeps through the paper - ah....the real way to eat a pasty. The chips...with chicken salt. That stuff is gold dust.

We also played games, I stared at Elvis..my husband finally came inside after spinning around outside - and we had a wonderful 1 hour of rest stop, lunch at its best...and then we were back in the car..sobs sobs...but luckily our next stop was Mt Gambier - home of the blue lake. 

I mean the bluest of blue you only see on some beach in Thailand. It was gorgeous!























All of my images are © Leah Donaldson Photography and are not to be downloaded, copied, printed or used without my written permission.







No comments:

Post a Comment