Saturday, 9 February 2013

Mask

Sometimes I get a good feeling...
I get a feeling I never, never, never 
Never ever had before..no...no...no....

OK that is a line from the song 'Somethings got a hold of me' by one of my favs Etta James

But.....it rang true with me a morning this week.

I woke up with a photo in my head, and I get this alot. Maybe it is from a dream. I think as a photographer, everything I see I tend to take a snapshot of it in my head - no wonder my head hurts most of the time. I seem to store those images and then make director calls on when I could use that, or do it this way, or use that person, or hope for the sky to be a different colour and then try to photograph that image I mentally took in a different way.

Does that make sense, or am I totally sounding like a mental case?

Either way - it works for me haha.

My daughter has had a rabbit mask for ages. When I first bought it, hoping it would rock a Halloween dress up costume, she declared this 'thing' was stopping her from breathing, and that it would melt her face off. That was 2 years ago - and I don't know how I have been so lucky to keep it in a mint'ish condition all that time, considering it has been resting at the back of the cupboard. 

You know that back I am talking about...the corner of the corner, under the stair cupboard where everything is....shoes that have no partners....wrapping paper that is no longer on that cardboard roll and now squashed into a ball (hey I might need to use it one day)

It was under boxes, old handbags...a spider (half alive) I did not tell my daughter that part - and after a scream....a clean...a magazine thrown away (with said spider attached..it was HUGE!)...I had this vision....a vision of my daughter wearing this mask with an odd ensemble of clothes....standing in a forest.

No problem, I could achieve this, we have a local castle with a forest. I have odd clothes for her to wear. Rabbit mask - check. Also she was on school holidays - so easy way to pass some boredom and time. 

I checked my purse...no money...well no money means no bribe...no present or sweet to help get her in that photographing mind. As she has got older, so has her brain, and her conniving power of manipulation. She is great withholding modelling services for payment - wow she is going to make the best wife ever haha

So a promise of 10 games of 'UNO'...oh my don't even get me started on that game! Whoever gave her that for Xmas, you are no longer my friend. I must play that game 50 times a day - from breakfast; to walking out the door; as soon as she walks back in the door after school; while making dinner; getting baths ready; I mean I am still playing my hand of cards while trying to get her quilt over her, saying goodnight and turning off the light!

However ...success... I managed to get 25 frames from her - which is BIG! Usually I have to try and nail the photo to perfection in 3 shots, so 25 was great! 

Presenting my 'wittle bunny


















All of my images are © Leah Donaldson Photography and are not to be downloaded, copied, printed or used without my written permission.



1 comment:

  1. That's brillant. And your daughter is gorgeous so I understand how she's the subject to your creativity sometimes!

    I also really enjoy the post...so funny :) hee hee...

    ReplyDelete